Friday, July 23, 2010

Project Aon

Lone Wolf Gamebook Online Resource 

Many years ago, I got into this book series called Lone Wolf.  It's a Choose Your Own Adventure series that takes it to a much more in-depth level.  Rather than the typical "Do you do this or this" situation, in these books you found items and weapons, fought monsters, collected gold and magic items and gained special powers.  It was basically a pen and paper RPG with a book as the DM.  I had nearly a dozen of these books by the time I grew out of them.  It wasn't until a few years ago I thought back to how great the series was and tried to find something online where I could buy them again.

That's when I happened upon Project Aon.  A whole website devoted to the Lone Wolf books and current news, updates and even errata.  More importantly, they hosted all the books in online format.  I couldn't have been more excited.  Once I found this site, it's all I did for weeks.  I played through nearly all the books, gathering my items and gaining levels and power. It was awesome!  However, keeping track of all of the equipment I was holding and what I was holding in my keep (yes, you get a keep) got to be a hassle.  As if reading my mind, Project Aon delivered again.  A Java application Action Chart that keeps track of everything for you! Genius.  However, never content to just make things easier, Project Aon makes it even simpler. They combined the two into an online javascript version with the chart built in.  All things considered, Project Aon is pretty awesome for all the work they've done.

If you've never heard of Lone Wolf (and, sadly, I bet you haven't) I very much recommend you give them a look.  If you're reading this blog, you've probably played a bunch of Choose Your Own Adventure books.  Lone Wolf blows all of them out of the water.  If not for me, than for yourself, read/play through the first book.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment